I love mac n cheese, but all that work for a side? Not this time! I’ve adapted Betty Crocker’s Mac and Cheese so that it’s an entree. Lean ground turkey as our protein and mexican taco spices make this side into a full entree – and its lean (if you want).
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker’s Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni (7 ounces)
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter (1/4 cup if cheat day)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- ½ cup pickled jalapeños
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Set aside.
- Fry your ground turkey with the taco seasoning. set aside.
- Make your roux (the foundation of any white sauce). Melt the butter and add flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire. Simmer until bubbly and creamy consistency. (You need to cook the flour, so don’t under do it!) Sometimes I add siracha or cayenne at this step.
- Remove from heat. Add milk, mix well.
- Return to heat – bring to boil. When thickened to a good consistency. Turn off heat.
- Mix in shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Add cooked pasta and turkey.
- Top with jalapeños and breadcrumbs
- Bake for 15 – 25 minutes until bubbly. (You can bake for less time if everything is hot going into your pot.)